How Do I?

How do I log into the Employer Portal?

  1. Log into the Employer Portal at
  2. Select Defined Benefit Employer Portal in the left navigation.

Two-Factor Authentication

The Employer Portal requires two-factor authentication (2FA), where a code is sent via text or phone call to verify your identity. This extra layer of security protects you by making it more difficult for someone to gain unauthorized access to your account.

If you do NOT know your username, please contact our Service Center at 800-767-6377.

Resetting Your Password

Once you set up your account with 2FA, you will be able to reset your password by clicking on the “Forgot Password” link. You will then be prompted to enter your username. A verification code will be sent via email. On the Reset Password page, you will enter your username, the code you received via email and your new password.

How do I make a correction to a submitted report?

The portal allows for two types of corrections: 

  1. Corrected Monthly Report – when corrections are needed to multiple employee records 
  2. Corrected Employee Report – when a correction is needed to a specific employee’s record 

When submitting a wage/contribution correction for an employee, the full corrected amount must be reported for the month you are correcting (do not just report the difference). 

Note: Whether you are initiating a ‘Correct Monthly’ report or a ‘Correct Employee’ report, you’ll want to:

  • Ensure the correct period has been selected
  • Locate your employee(s) to correct, then follow the below guidelines for data entry.

For detailed instructions on how to correct a report, see the “Correcting a Report” section of the Defined Benefit Portal User Guide. 

How do I report a terminated employee?

  1. Change the employee’s status to terminated and enter their termination date 
  2. You will then be prompted to enter their final wage payout information. If final wages have been issued, uncheck the “Report Final Wages Next Month” box (this will remove the employee from your monthly report) and enter the applicable information. If final wages have not been issued, keep the box checked to complete reporting on this person next month.   

Note: This allows MERS staff to reach out to the employee and explain how to use their account once they have left employment. Employees must have a terminated status for MERS to process refunds. 

How do I report an employee who transferred divisions?

Check the transfer box and select the employee’s new division.  

Note: This ensures employees have the correct provisions applied to their accounts and that any applicable employee contributions are calculated based on the new division’s rate in effect.  

How do I report an employee who fell below the service credit qualification requirement?

Change the service to No and select the proper wage discrepancy code to explain why.

For example, did the employee change status and they are no longer eligible, or did they go on a leave of absence or intermittent leave? All wages paid to eligible employees must be reported monthly (regardless of service earned). Contributions are withheld based on reported wages.   

Note: This helps MERS understand why no service was earned for an eligible employee and ensures only those who meet the service credit qualification requirement get credit for this month of work. 

How do I report final wages for a terminated or retired employee?

In order to report a separation of employment a termination status is required. For detailed instructions on terminating an employee and reporting with final wages, see the Defined Benefit Portal User Guide. 

How do I remove a terminated/retired employee from my reports?

In order to remove a terminated employee from your reports, you must uncheck the check mark next to “report final wages next month.

How do I report leaves of absence?

Select the applicable leave type under the wage discrepancy codes. Then in the Notes field, include the date range the leave applies during this reporting period along with the pay rate.   

Note: This allows MERS staff to easily identify which months of the employee’s wages can be removed when calculating their final average compensation amount. 

How do I report an employee that worked more hours than normal or received a shift premium or on-call pay?

  1. Please ensure these wage types are included in the division’s definition of compensation.   
  2. Select “Hours Higher/Lower” under the wage discrepancy codes. In the Notes field, specify the type of wages.   

Note: This allows MERS staff to easily verify that the extra wages should be included in the employee’s final average compensation. If the division’s definition of compensation excludes certain wage types, please do not report the wages to MERS.  

How do I report employee raises?

Select “Regular Wage” under the wage discrepancy codes.   

Note: Whenever there is a fluctuation in an employee’s reported wages (I.e., overtime, lump sum payouts, leaves of absences, etc.), the system will ask you to select a wage discrepancy code to explain the reported variance. By selecting “Regular Wage”, the wage validation used when comparing future reported wages will reset to this new amount you are reporting.  

How do I report an employee who received a lump sum payment?

  1. Select “Lump Sum Payout / Pay Advance” under the wage discrepancy codes.  
  2. In the Notes field, include the reason for the payout (i.e., PTO, annual holiday pay, bonus, etc.), along with the payout amount.  

Note: Some employers have elected to only include certain wage types as reportable wages for the employee’s final average compensation. Please review the division’s definition of compensation and only report includible wage types to MERS. If the wage type paid is not part of the division’s definition of compensation, do not report it to MERS. 

 If the employee receives a lump sum retro wage adjustment, ensure to select “Retro Wage Split”. Then in the Notes field, include the retro type, amount, and period. This allows MERS to spread the retro wage issued over the appropriate period. 

How do I locate rates?

You can locate your rates through two different options: 

  1. Expand the division lines in your open monthly report. 
  2. Look in the statement section of your Annual Actuarial Valuation.   

Disclaimer: The information contained in this Web site is being made available as a public service. The information is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting or investment advice, or to replace official versions of that information. Benefit Estimates or Service Credit Purchase estimates requested through this Web site are not official descriptions of any benefits, and do not represent a promise by MERS to provide any benefit(s) to any person(s). No one can detrimentally rely upon the information provided in, or requested through this Web site. MERS reserves the right to correct any errors, and presents this information without warranties, express or implied, regarding the information's accuracy, timeliness or completeness. If you believe the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, or incomplete, or if you have problems accessing or reading the information, please call MERS at 800.767.6377.