New! Connecting Your New Hires with Their MERS Benefits
MERS has launched a new process to provide your new hires (including those current employees who are enrolling in a new plan) with information to help them understand their MERS benefit(s).
Within two weeks of enrolling new hires in plan(s), they will receive:
- A personal identification number (PIN) letter in the mail with instructions on creating a myMERS account*
- A welcome email introducing MERS and giving an overview of the plan(s) your new hire is enrolled in, along with immediate action items. Included in this email will be a link to the MERS New Participant resource page at mersofmich.com/life-events/new-Participant. Here, new hires can find:
- Plan information
- Video explaining plan features
- Information on the benefits of a myMERS account
We’re also reducing the amount of time needed to administer your plan!
As of October 13, MERS no longer requires employers to input beneficiary information for new hires enrolling in Defined Contribution (including the DC portion of Hybrid), 457 and Health Care Savings Program into the Employer Portal. Instead, once a new hire has been added to your municipality’s payroll file, MERS will mail participants their beneficiary forms along with other plan-related information. Participants will return the completed forms to MERS and we will update their record.
Important! It is highly encouraged that you submit an email address for your new hire upon enrollment in order for MERS to generate a welcome email for your new hires. If you do not include an email address, your new hires will continue to receive welcome kits via postal mail within six weeks of enrollment.
* Only those new hires who are new to MERS will receive a myMERS PIN letter.