Saving for retirement is important, but many people don't take into consideration the rising costs of health care. The MERS Health Care Savings Program is designed to help you prepare for those costs after you leave your employer, with an invested account you manage.
By participating in the MERS Health Care Savings Program, you can save money now while you're working for health care costs that you'll use after you leave your employer, either before or after you've reached retirement. The MERS Health Care Savings Program is an employer-sponsored program that gives you a tax-free medical savings account available for you, your spouse and any legal dependents.
- Update beneficiary information
- Update personal contact information
- Review investment options
- View account statements
How it works
MERS HCSP Handbook (pdf)
- Individual employee accounts designed by you and your employer are invested and grow tax-free.
- You and your employer make contributions to your account based on the provisions your municipality has adopted.
- You can also make contributions to your account on a voluntary, post-tax basis.
- The MERS Health Care Savings Program is an invested account, meaning you take an active role in determining your financial goals, making investment choices, and monitoring your portfolio.
- When you separate from your employer, you can use the account for tax-free medical expense reimbursements (pdf). You must be vested at termination to withdraw your employer's contributions.
- You select from the streamlined MERS Investment Menu. For more information, please read Understanding the MERS Investment Menu (pdf).